Skip to main content

29 years of grace


In 13 days' time, I'll turn 30. And this makes me so happy. This is a special age, and carries significance in my life as I enter a new joy and journey. But I see it noteworthy, to take a pause and reflect on the past years of adulthood.

1. This life journey requires humility. It's not my place to seek to dictate how others should live. And it's important to respect their views and give them freedom to be.   

I pray I never carry the idea that I've arrived and things can only be right because I'm doing them. Rubbing my experience on others is not something I ever want to do. I've seen how older women do this and make you feel inadequate. Or this group that  always find something flawed when they are not in the programme or aren't sought for. What a mean approach to life.

Basically, I'm saying life isn't black and white; there are many intricacies and realities of life that forge each person's experience. Mine is to walk humbly. And be mindful of other's experiences. 

2. Experiencing  joy / happy times is no sin. I feel like I've not given myself the permission to be fully present in moments of joy. And I realize, that, I owe it to myself to experience these moments wholeheartedly . I've started to eat out with my mom monthly - something I didn't experience growing up. I also find joy in eating out alone and enjoying my company. 

3. I find joy in rest - just cleaning my space, reading and taking time to slow down. The occupation I'm in requires so much mental strength that at times it's very hard to pause even when you sleep. And I've struggled with sleep from a young age. It felt like I was missing out on something if I slept. But I'm thankful that the past months I've slept so well. Yes, there are days I struggle but I'm thankful for this gift.

4. There's joy in service. There's joy in work. It brings purpose. Just this week my learners' books were moderated and I cannot tell you how proud I am as I look at God's grace in enabling me to help each learner and the great improvement each learner has achieved . I've realize I feel most proud when I'm able to start and finish a task. When I serve and when I'm being useful. 

5. Doing good to others will always be good. Hating and jealousy steal so many opportunities from us. And I hate these traits wholeheartedly. 

6. We become the company we keep. How mindful then, we should be. I am grateful for the sisters (mostly older than me) and friends I keep as they inspire me to be more and to quietly seek to be better each day.

7. Do the work of healing. It's all worth it. I'm in a space where I don't measure myself with anyone because I realize, how distinct and special my journey is. And I'm realizing daily, it's never about the occupation, material etc. But my contribution to the life of others. I want to be present, I want to rejoice with others and cry when they do. I want to know what they think, how others live and I want to be a shoulder to cry on. 

8. I'm learning to not limit myself to my friendships but to continue embracing others.

9. Honesty with oneself is so pivotal in the journey of growth.
We need to take a SWOT analysis of ourselves from time to time. Sometimes we get offended because we are being corrected or may feel a superior is unfair. But if we do our part faithfully, we will never harbour such feelings because we do our part.

Let's do the SWOT analysis together. Yes? 😊 Let's go!

1. What are my (your) strengths?
2. What are my (your) weaknesses?
3. What are my  (your) opportunities in this journey?
4. What are my (your) threats?

9 down, 20 to go! What are you learning?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Months In: Marriage reflection

Prior marriage, I honestly had my fears: how will living with a man be like, will I be able to freely express my desires, will he like my cooking? Will I still be able to maintain personal time and devotion?How will copulation be? Will it hurt? Will there be affection?All these questions would come to my mind from time to time, as I had never witnessed a healthy marriage where God was honoured. I had only observed bits and pieces from others and couldn't get the full picture; though there are healthy marriages. Thankfully, we can always "cast our cares to God", including our fears that keep us awake at night (1 Peter 5:7) and God promises to be with us through the fears (Isaiah 41:10). These fears  alo include a change in trajectory - whether it's leaving home, a change in career, getting married or any change we might face. My husband and I spoke about some of these fears prior marriage but our comfort has always been that God will continue guiding us as

29 Years of Grace - Part 3

19. Relationships with other people will often include misunderstanding and disagreements, but that doesn't mean we should give up. Sometimes folks  will make assumptions about us and will even seek to sabotage us, but God will see us through. God sees and often interferes. Human relations do hurt, more especially when you sacrifice so much and your motives are misunderstood. Through all of this, we should continue to pursue them for the good of mankind. Human connections require wisdom, grace and discretion from above. If we don't allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, we are in danger of seeking to deal with those who hurt us with revenge. But when we surrender to Holy Spirit we are able to return hate with kindness, sabotage with patience and misunderstanding with grace. Ours is to guard our hearts as we navigate these connections. And remember to deal with others, with the same grace God gives us. 20. Comparison is a thief of joy. We often picture  a certain path for our lives,

Thankful Thursday: an answered prayer

 Hey reader, I trust you are well. Let me start by welcoming you in my space. I hope you'll find it to be a safe space. So, I feel like this past month I've been struggling to breathe - so much workload. Anyway, that's always the case. But there's pressure to improve and do your best. I'm still a facilitator for grade 1 - grade 3 learners . So far I have 3 new learners. Two are in grade 2 and one is in grade 1. Two can't write much nor speak English. My biggest challenge has been the grade 1 learner who'd cry when she had to write. I requested for her report card and let's just say it was extremely bad. She didn't meet grade R requirements- hence she can't write, doesn't know alphabets, can't really colour, not familiar with simple words(sight words) like and, is, this etc. Besides being a Christian  school, we emphasize on the three Rs - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Our kids write quite a lot. And I commend this - I'll explain in