Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday: Counting my blessings one by one

 1. I'm glad to be back at work - I feel lost outside my job because it is my calling.

2. I'm thankful for the progress I see in the students that were slacking. There's a particular girl who came in our school. She was condoned to Grade 2 and she wasn't equipped for the grade - she couldn't write on the line, couldn't read, count; but I've seen God's grace over her life. At some point her parents thought of taking her to a special school and her mother was so excited to see her child write and recite scriptures. This is a child who was reported to be reluctant to speak in her previous school. When she came, she didn't know much English and there were speech issues where you could tell she struggled with saying words properly and spelling was also a major issue. Thankfully, now she's better in speech and her reading has improved. She no longer shows signs of mental blockages - I don't know what to call them. But she'd have instances where you could see a mental struggle and she'd struggle with seemingly basic things like counting backwards or addition.

There's also a boy that made me nervous - he seemed so absent-minded. He always had stories about why he didn't do his homework. Thankfully, after having a meeting with both parents on separate occasions, I've been seeing a lot of improvements. I'm glad. He enjoys learning. Today it was Grade 1's turn to read a story we will be memorizing soon and when I called him to read, he threw a fist in the air and said "yes!" What a lovely sight to behold and his reading is getting better.

3. I'm grateful for a Father who makes provision - I've been impressed to study about the conscience and I had been planning to start exploring that theme and interestingly, as I was doing my morning devotion, I was led to it and I've gotten resources that will take me weeks to explore. I can't wait for the Sabbath so I can make time to study more, without the need to do house chores or do something for work.

4. I am grateful for freedom of choice. I've recently cut my hair short and I feel so much lighter and more beautiful. I hope to share a bit about my hair journey.

5. I am grateful for warm clothes for winter.

6. I am grateful for my mother and my colleagues.

7. I'm grateful for healing. I never realized I had emotional scars! But thanks be to the Healer - God.

8. Grateful for love - the world would be such a dark and cold world without love. A shout out to loving folks who embrace me. A shout out to my partner - our relationship has exposed me to issues I need to heal from and he has embraced me, encouraged me to  be vulnerable and continues to be a safe space. For someone who has never been able to share things I find offensive, he's really taught me that it's okay to speak up. He's really taught me a lot and his courage and support has been wholesome. I'm still learning to communicate and express my needs, but I'm thankful for the sharpening experience it's been.

9. Thankful for restoration and knowing I can achieve what I put my mind to- let's just say Uni left my heart in shambles and for the past 6 years or so, I've lived a life where I no longer had goals nor believed in myself. The guilt that came with failure broke me completely since it's my own choices. Fear controlled me so much that I was overwhelmed by trying new things. But I've been able to take baby steps through exploring Podcasting (even though I'm slack), cooking, serving at church, painting etc. I've been able to do much through my previous blog, though I decided to delete it and I'm just thankful for restoration.

10. I'm thankful for all the African folks pushing their dreams - whether it's a young lady who's started selling vegetables, friends furthering their studies, I get encouraged that I'll achieve my dreams, no matter how long it takes.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday: an answered prayer

 Hey reader, I trust you are well. Let me start by welcoming you in my space. I hope you'll find it to be a safe space. So, I feel like this past month I've been struggling to breathe - so much workload. Anyway, that's always the case. But there's pressure to improve and do your best. I'm still a facilitator for grade 1 - grade 3 learners . So far I have 3 new learners. Two are in grade 2 and one is in grade 1. Two can't write much nor speak English. My biggest challenge has been the grade 1 learner who'd cry when she had to write. I requested for her report card and let's just say it was extremely bad. She didn't meet grade R requirements- hence she can't write, doesn't know alphabets, can't really colour, not familiar with simple words(sight words) like and, is, this etc. Besides being a Christian  school, we emphasize on the three Rs - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Our kids write quite a lot. And I commend this - I'll explain in

Three Months In: Marriage reflection

Prior marriage, I honestly had my fears: how will living with a man be like, will I be able to freely express my desires, will he like my cooking? Will I still be able to maintain personal time and devotion?How will copulation be? Will it hurt? Will there be affection?All these questions would come to my mind from time to time, as I had never witnessed a healthy marriage where God was honoured. I had only observed bits and pieces from others and couldn't get the full picture; though there are healthy marriages. Thankfully, we can always "cast our cares to God", including our fears that keep us awake at night (1 Peter 5:7) and God promises to be with us through the fears (Isaiah 41:10). These fears  alo include a change in trajectory - whether it's leaving home, a change in career, getting married or any change we might face. My husband and I spoke about some of these fears prior marriage but our comfort has always been that God will continue guiding us as

29 Years of Grace - Part 3

19. Relationships with other people will often include misunderstanding and disagreements, but that doesn't mean we should give up. Sometimes folks  will make assumptions about us and will even seek to sabotage us, but God will see us through. God sees and often interferes. Human relations do hurt, more especially when you sacrifice so much and your motives are misunderstood. Through all of this, we should continue to pursue them for the good of mankind. Human connections require wisdom, grace and discretion from above. If we don't allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, we are in danger of seeking to deal with those who hurt us with revenge. But when we surrender to Holy Spirit we are able to return hate with kindness, sabotage with patience and misunderstanding with grace. Ours is to guard our hearts as we navigate these connections. And remember to deal with others, with the same grace God gives us. 20. Comparison is a thief of joy. We often picture  a certain path for our lives,