Skip to main content

My Journey of Healing: Part 3

 If there's one thing I've learnt over the past year, it's the importance of healing - not just physically but holistically. I think we often dwell so much on the outside that we forget the inward - which is so crucial because it impacts habits, thought process and overall behavior.


I've realized trauma harms us and is more deadly when not dealt with. Specifically, childhood trauma. Often than not, we don't even know we might be reacting in a certain way or even behaving in a particular way because of something as far back as our childhood.


I had a fairly, wonderful childhood with the ebbs and flows of life. But as I grew older I dealt with quite a bit, even though it wasn't overwhelming. I was so fearful of making mistakes and I was so insecure, but as I reflect, I now know the insecurity came from being told I was ugly at the tender age by a stranger. Strangely, that scarred me and made me look for worth in so much - particularly my academics. When that was shaken - I lost it. I lost my identity. I lost my sense of purpose too. I became so depressed ( I found normal activities so daunting). Living life was so hard, but I didn't know that I was suffering from that and I honestly praise God for taking me out of that experience. I became so busy with teaching Pathfinders at church that I began to heal. Now I'm not in anyway insinuating that this is how you get better. I'm just sharing my experience.


Then as I hit 26, I started realizing how much I missed out on not having a father figure (my parents separated when I was young) and even though my dad continues to feature in my life now and again, we're not close. I then realized how I sometimes struggled to think worthy thoughts regarding men - I just saw them in the same light as I saw my dad. Thankfully, God is helping me and interacting with good, father figures has been helpful.


This year I realized deep down I was reluctant to be a mother and not once have I been really able to entertain being a mother except for a few occasions. And I particularly remember reflecting on my mother's burden as a single parent and realizing how much hard work it was to raise children singlehandedly. Of course, I never felt like a burden. On the contrary, I had a happy childhood due to my mother. But deep down it left a fear for children. I didn't want to be near kids for the most part. And it was only recently, when I was telling my partner that I don't want kids, that he pointed out I was scared. He said I'm scared because I think I'll do it alone. A lightbulb turned on - that was the reason behind my not wanting kids. It's something I'll leave to God to decide for me. But I've been able to trust God with that part of my life - that He'll bless me with a husband who'd be hands-on and a present father. But it's the least of my concerns, although occasionally I find myself thinking about how I'd love twins (I'm a twin 😂) and how I'd love to homeschool them.


All in all, I realize some  decisions I've made have been rooted in fear and hurt. But I'm thankful that God has exposed that so I can be intentional about healing. Not only healing from childhood trauma but from all the hurts that have made me not live fully.


I'm grateful that salvation includes restoration.


P/S: Part 1 & 2  of my healing journey are in my old blog: lovedbyhimfirst.wordpress.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday: an answered prayer

 Hey reader, I trust you are well. Let me start by welcoming you in my space. I hope you'll find it to be a safe space. So, I feel like this past month I've been struggling to breathe - so much workload. Anyway, that's always the case. But there's pressure to improve and do your best. I'm still a facilitator for grade 1 - grade 3 learners . So far I have 3 new learners. Two are in grade 2 and one is in grade 1. Two can't write much nor speak English. My biggest challenge has been the grade 1 learner who'd cry when she had to write. I requested for her report card and let's just say it was extremely bad. She didn't meet grade R requirements- hence she can't write, doesn't know alphabets, can't really colour, not familiar with simple words(sight words) like and, is, this etc. Besides being a Christian  school, we emphasize on the three Rs - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Our kids write quite a lot. And I commend this - I'll explain in

Three Months In: Marriage reflection

Prior marriage, I honestly had my fears: how will living with a man be like, will I be able to freely express my desires, will he like my cooking? Will I still be able to maintain personal time and devotion?How will copulation be? Will it hurt? Will there be affection?All these questions would come to my mind from time to time, as I had never witnessed a healthy marriage where God was honoured. I had only observed bits and pieces from others and couldn't get the full picture; though there are healthy marriages. Thankfully, we can always "cast our cares to God", including our fears that keep us awake at night (1 Peter 5:7) and God promises to be with us through the fears (Isaiah 41:10). These fears  alo include a change in trajectory - whether it's leaving home, a change in career, getting married or any change we might face. My husband and I spoke about some of these fears prior marriage but our comfort has always been that God will continue guiding us as

29 Years of Grace - Part 3

19. Relationships with other people will often include misunderstanding and disagreements, but that doesn't mean we should give up. Sometimes folks  will make assumptions about us and will even seek to sabotage us, but God will see us through. God sees and often interferes. Human relations do hurt, more especially when you sacrifice so much and your motives are misunderstood. Through all of this, we should continue to pursue them for the good of mankind. Human connections require wisdom, grace and discretion from above. If we don't allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, we are in danger of seeking to deal with those who hurt us with revenge. But when we surrender to Holy Spirit we are able to return hate with kindness, sabotage with patience and misunderstanding with grace. Ours is to guard our hearts as we navigate these connections. And remember to deal with others, with the same grace God gives us. 20. Comparison is a thief of joy. We often picture  a certain path for our lives,