Skip to main content

Makoti Diaries: Last day on Makoti Duty

Today marks the last day as a Makoti on duty. What a journey for the introvert me 😀. I was really nervous about it and hesitant too. Would my mother-in-law (MamaZala) like me? Will she enjoy the meals I was going to prepare? Were we going to hit it off? Thankfully, my MamaZala is a sweetheart and there weren't so many expectations. I was told to not wake up early as she rises early and I was encouraged to rest. I was responsible for breakfast and supper. And I must commend my husband for holding my hand throughout the journey: we'd prepare breakfast together initially and cook some Sabbath meals and thankfully, MamaZala really enjoyed it all 🙌 and as I cooked, I had more ideas for meals and I did meal preps alone. Thankful for acceptance and love.

We also enjoyed devotion time. My husband and I would take turns on sharing the Word. We'd sing a few hymns and uMamaZala would join in. It was lovely to only have us three so that I wouldn't be overwhelmed. I appreciated that I didn't have to make tea whenever a visitor came (it was too hot anyway).

My mamaZala is a people's person, so we'd sometimes have visitors before serving breakfast, so I'd make breakfast for the visitor as well. My husband's childhood friend would join us for supper from time to time and we'd go for drives and view some farms. I really enjoyed this.

The church folks really welcomed us and were really kind: they congratulated us, would constantly share their warm wishes with us,we were encouraged ukuba "sigcinane"  (to look after each other) and I was encouraged to pray for my hubby,

On the flip side, I really, really, really missed my family. It's not easy being at a town where you only know your husband and trying to build a relationship with umamaZala. I think it'd have been better if I knew someone so I can visit or if there was a familiar face. We had good moments and overall, my stay was good.

This is my life and I'll be a Makoti till Jesus comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Months In: Marriage reflection

Prior marriage, I honestly had my fears: how will living with a man be like, will I be able to freely express my desires, will he like my cooking? Will I still be able to maintain personal time and devotion?How will copulation be? Will it hurt? Will there be affection?All these questions would come to my mind from time to time, as I had never witnessed a healthy marriage where God was honoured. I had only observed bits and pieces from others and couldn't get the full picture; though there are healthy marriages. Thankfully, we can always "cast our cares to God", including our fears that keep us awake at night (1 Peter 5:7) and God promises to be with us through the fears (Isaiah 41:10). These fears  alo include a change in trajectory - whether it's leaving home, a change in career, getting married or any change we might face. My husband and I spoke about some of these fears prior marriage but our comfort has always been that God will continue guiding us as

29 Years of Grace - Part 3

19. Relationships with other people will often include misunderstanding and disagreements, but that doesn't mean we should give up. Sometimes folks  will make assumptions about us and will even seek to sabotage us, but God will see us through. God sees and often interferes. Human relations do hurt, more especially when you sacrifice so much and your motives are misunderstood. Through all of this, we should continue to pursue them for the good of mankind. Human connections require wisdom, grace and discretion from above. If we don't allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, we are in danger of seeking to deal with those who hurt us with revenge. But when we surrender to Holy Spirit we are able to return hate with kindness, sabotage with patience and misunderstanding with grace. Ours is to guard our hearts as we navigate these connections. And remember to deal with others, with the same grace God gives us. 20. Comparison is a thief of joy. We often picture  a certain path for our lives,

Thankful Thursday: an answered prayer

 Hey reader, I trust you are well. Let me start by welcoming you in my space. I hope you'll find it to be a safe space. So, I feel like this past month I've been struggling to breathe - so much workload. Anyway, that's always the case. But there's pressure to improve and do your best. I'm still a facilitator for grade 1 - grade 3 learners . So far I have 3 new learners. Two are in grade 2 and one is in grade 1. Two can't write much nor speak English. My biggest challenge has been the grade 1 learner who'd cry when she had to write. I requested for her report card and let's just say it was extremely bad. She didn't meet grade R requirements- hence she can't write, doesn't know alphabets, can't really colour, not familiar with simple words(sight words) like and, is, this etc. Besides being a Christian  school, we emphasize on the three Rs - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Our kids write quite a lot. And I commend this - I'll explain in