Skip to main content

Choosing not to be a mother- Part 2


If there's  one thing I'm convicted of, it is the solemn responsibility that comes with motherhood: it's a matter of life and death, literally. It's one role one  needs to prayerfully consider; not to filfill a societal norm but to find out from God if it's what God calls her to. I know for a fact that it's not God's plan for teenage girls to be mothers. I know it's not God's plan for any child to be born in an enviroment where God won't be the foundation with loving parents. And I know, our society is broken, but sometimes we are the cause (choices): cue for an upcoming post.And as I continue reading, I know it's not a duty I want to have 24 hours, 7 days a week. I've had a foretaste of motherhood through my nieces and I know for a fact, it's  not a journey I'd like to embark on (not based on any bad experience but simply realizing how taxing parenting is).

Here's something I've realized though, I am a mother too- not one biologically, but by virtue of the role I have at work, at church and most importantly, as an aunt. Before any role, I am an aunt  and it's a serious duty. My nieces are watching me. The responsibility to model out Christianity, by precept and practise is a serious one and I'm in need of God's grace. I now realize, even though they are not mine, their blood will also be on me. And I've realized as much as "me" time is important to me, I cannot afford to sleep at my post of teaching scripture and Bible stories daily. I'm where I am to a great extent in my Christian journey because of the role my mother played and it's my turn too.

Then there's church kids. I love these kids and as leader, and teacher I have a responsibility to model Christian behaviour and teach them the truth. Such a solemn duty! We have such a huge number of kids coming from Non-Christian homes and I  realize, I personally need to build relationships with these parents. 

Motherhood takes a village and my duty, is making sure any child is safe and well-cared for, even when their parents are absent. More than anything, it's working for the purchase of Christ's blood. And so I'm at point where I have to intercede at night and morning calling each child by name.


I want to be a support system to parents- an aunt they can trust. And it's a high calling. The realization  is, the power is in God, in surrender and living a life of obedience.

Here are some thoughts to consider:

Mother’s Decisive Power in Her Home—Would that every mother could realize how great are her duties and her responsibilities, and how great will be the reward of faithfulness. The mother’s daily influence upon her children is preparing them for everlasting life or eternal death. She exercises in her home a power more decisive than the minister in the desk, or even the king upon his throne (The Signs of the Times, November 3, 1881). 

Parents and Soul Winning—Christian parents, if you desire to work for the Lord, begin with your little ones at home. If you manifest tact and wisdom and the fear of God in the management of your children, you may be intrusted with greater responsibilities. True Christian effort will begin at home, and go out from the center to embrace wider fields. A soul saved in your own family circle or in your own neighborhood, by your patient, painstaking labor, will bring as much honor to the name of Christ, and will shine as brightly in your crown as if you had found that soul in China or India (The Signs of the Times, November 10, 1881). 


Those who have too little courage to reprove wrong, or who through indolence or lack of interest make no earnest effort to purify the family or the church of God, are held accountable for the evil that may result from their neglect of duty. We are just as responsible for evils that we might have checked in others by exercise of parental or pastoral authority as if the acts had been our own.  - PP 578.2


For more resources: 1 Samuel 1-3; Patriachs and Prophets: chapter 55 and 56, The Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary, volume 2 (Commentary on 1 Samuel 1-3).


Image resource: iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday: an answered prayer

 Hey reader, I trust you are well. Let me start by welcoming you in my space. I hope you'll find it to be a safe space. So, I feel like this past month I've been struggling to breathe - so much workload. Anyway, that's always the case. But there's pressure to improve and do your best. I'm still a facilitator for grade 1 - grade 3 learners . So far I have 3 new learners. Two are in grade 2 and one is in grade 1. Two can't write much nor speak English. My biggest challenge has been the grade 1 learner who'd cry when she had to write. I requested for her report card and let's just say it was extremely bad. She didn't meet grade R requirements- hence she can't write, doesn't know alphabets, can't really colour, not familiar with simple words(sight words) like and, is, this etc. Besides being a Christian  school, we emphasize on the three Rs - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Our kids write quite a lot. And I commend this - I'll explain in

Three Months In: Marriage reflection

Prior marriage, I honestly had my fears: how will living with a man be like, will I be able to freely express my desires, will he like my cooking? Will I still be able to maintain personal time and devotion?How will copulation be? Will it hurt? Will there be affection?All these questions would come to my mind from time to time, as I had never witnessed a healthy marriage where God was honoured. I had only observed bits and pieces from others and couldn't get the full picture; though there are healthy marriages. Thankfully, we can always "cast our cares to God", including our fears that keep us awake at night (1 Peter 5:7) and God promises to be with us through the fears (Isaiah 41:10). These fears  alo include a change in trajectory - whether it's leaving home, a change in career, getting married or any change we might face. My husband and I spoke about some of these fears prior marriage but our comfort has always been that God will continue guiding us as

29 Years of Grace - Part 3

19. Relationships with other people will often include misunderstanding and disagreements, but that doesn't mean we should give up. Sometimes folks  will make assumptions about us and will even seek to sabotage us, but God will see us through. God sees and often interferes. Human relations do hurt, more especially when you sacrifice so much and your motives are misunderstood. Through all of this, we should continue to pursue them for the good of mankind. Human connections require wisdom, grace and discretion from above. If we don't allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, we are in danger of seeking to deal with those who hurt us with revenge. But when we surrender to Holy Spirit we are able to return hate with kindness, sabotage with patience and misunderstanding with grace. Ours is to guard our hearts as we navigate these connections. And remember to deal with others, with the same grace God gives us. 20. Comparison is a thief of joy. We often picture  a certain path for our lives,