Skip to main content

Reflecting on what I wish I knew before getting married


1. Prepare as much as you can. Ask all the necessary questions. I personally didn't think in-laws would affect me that much, so I didn't focus on it. I really focused on us building a healthy marriage and preparing to be a wife. I think it's important to discuss expectations, boundaries, the extent of brokenness in the spouse's family and to ask as much as you can. I was personally caught off guard and didn't know the extent or how we needed to come through for my in-laws. And how I'd have to assist because they either didn't know or I'm just wired to figure things out and have a plan of action. Also consider well the family you marry into:
1. 1 What are their values and what informs them?
1.2  Who is God to them?
1.3 What role do cultural practices play in their way of doing things?
1.4 What role does each family member play and what role does your potential spouse play and how will that affect your marriage?
1.5 Are there outstanding duties and is there financial expectations?
1.6 What are their strengths and weaknesses etc?

2. You will need more patience than the ounce you have right now. Wait and see 😂. It's because you've never stayed together and you have different ways of doing things. That's where you see how the other party was raised. Plus you are wired differently. 

3. You are more flawed than you think. Different experiences will expose you and you need more grace.

4. You'll gain weight 🤣. Not applicable to everyone. How I went from small to medium is still a mystery to me.

5. You'll need to be more vulnerable and you'll be just fine. Vulnerability deepens the relationship. I know for some of us it's scary, but marriage exposes all of you and there's nothing to hide; but that's where the freedom to be yourself and understanding comes in.

6. God will truly provide, so don't break your head trying to figure every day out before you are even married. I do not want to be interpreted as saying don't count the cost, don't make wise decisions financially, career-wise etc; all I'm trying to say is, leave these cares on God's hand. God provides! Don't trust on what you can do but on how God will continue to take care of you in ways you haven't thought of.

7. There's NOTHING to be nervous about, especially about marriage when you are married to the right person. 

8. You'll experience more joy than your mind can comprehend. It's beautiful beyond how you imagine to be!

9. He's the head of the household but you'll need to advise on so many issues and you'll need to head other projects yourself and make sure they happen. So, it's important to realise your hubby can't solve every household problem. You are a great asset more than you think. 

10. It's no longer "my" but "our". If you've been financially independent for quite a while, it can be tricky. I worked for 6 years prior getting married. I did what I wanted,when I wanted. If I felt like a cake would do, I bought it - even though I hadn't budgeted for it. If I saw a clothing item I love, I'd just get it. But now I'm learning financial discipline. And I haven't had cake in a bit 😂. I'm grateful because I really wanted to save and we've really done great in that department. I no longer see money as a resource to provide for my needs; but it's also a tool to improve my life skill-wise, helping others etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday: an answered prayer

 Hey reader, I trust you are well. Let me start by welcoming you in my space. I hope you'll find it to be a safe space. So, I feel like this past month I've been struggling to breathe - so much workload. Anyway, that's always the case. But there's pressure to improve and do your best. I'm still a facilitator for grade 1 - grade 3 learners . So far I have 3 new learners. Two are in grade 2 and one is in grade 1. Two can't write much nor speak English. My biggest challenge has been the grade 1 learner who'd cry when she had to write. I requested for her report card and let's just say it was extremely bad. She didn't meet grade R requirements- hence she can't write, doesn't know alphabets, can't really colour, not familiar with simple words(sight words) like and, is, this etc. Besides being a Christian  school, we emphasize on the three Rs - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Our kids write quite a lot. And I commend this - I'll explain in

Why positive narratives around marriage are important

1. Marriage is beautiful and God created the institution as means of refining character and blessing humanity. 2. Unfortunately, ever since sin entered and selfishness took precedence over our hearts, marriage has taken a knock. From Adam declaring "bone of my bones" to "this woman you gave me", the brokenness continues.  3. Most people have experienced brokenness due to their parent's broken marriages and sometimes this leaves deep wounds which sometimes lead people to conclude that marriage is bad. I was one of those and I had vowed I'd never get married.  4. We're exposed to so many negative marriages that society is slowly becoming immune to true love, often saying, "it will end in tears." 5. Most important of all, it is the most potent witness of God's power to bring light and healing in society.  6. By witnessing healthy marriages, we're encouraged that we too can have God- honouring marriages. Sometimes you even feel

THE EFFECTS OF LOCKDOWN ON MY LEARNERS

I've been meaning to write this post for a while now; so I finally had the courage to do it today. So, lockdown hit everyone hard, including schools. I was teaching 30 students and 2 out of that total decided to leave school for fair reasons. I was then left with 28 learners. So, we would prepare study material for each week and we would have about 4 tasks for each learning area - Monday to Thursday. We also put emphasis on reading and availed ourselves for any questions that parents might have. And I know I'd even explain certain concepts for each week so that parents could catch up easily on the work. This meant we were always available online (my colleague and I). Then on Fridays we required proof of the work done to be sent directly to us as the teachers via WhatsApp. I really must say this made me push and give it my best. I really enjoyed working from home, though I knew this meant more kids were not doing their tasks and might miss on grasping the themes. In terms of the